There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Touch of a Friend

It was another day in the life. Just me and doctor. Again. I can't even tell you the weariness that sweeps over me when I sit in the doctor's office. I didn't even flinch when they drew 5 vials of blood. The good news is my latest round of symptoms don't appear to be related to my heart, and I had bonus journaling time in the waiting room today.

What has really stood out to me in yet another week that will result in a pile of those lovely "Explanation of Benefits" statements, has been how God has touched me through people.

- A friend who happens to have a life of her own, but has kept my kids much of the day today.

- A friend who could tell from my face in an instant that I needed a hug and some prayer and e-mailed me just to remind me she remembered.

- A friend who left a goodie bag of gluten-free bread and all sorts of treasures on my front porch sometime today.

- A friend who slipped me a sweet card with a grocery gift card and words of encouragement.

- A friend who held my hand last night as I cried and wondered when or if I will feel good. (I'm married to that particular friend.)

- A friend who sat with me in the waiting room again today. I couldn't see him, but I will someday. Face to face. He promised.

I'm OK, I think. I don't have many specifics I can share at this point. I'm definitely low on potassium and dehydrated. I'm waiting on some other test results. My left arm alternates between being numb and then feeling like pins and needles. I just wanted to share how God has been so near and kind to me through some of His other children this week.

1 comment:

  1. Patti,
    I am praying for you, my friend and asking God to bring relief, peace, strength and answers!!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.