For most of my adult life, I have looked at events of life, big and small, and thought one or more of the following:
1) I really need to write about this.
2) This would make a great Sunday School illustration.
3) I should turn this into a curriculum or weekend retreat material or a blog or a written thing-a-ma-jig of some kind. (This third option is what generates most of the scraps of paper and odd, half-filled notebooks in my house.)
Long ago, I imagined that this is how everyone's mind works. It is not. It has become apparent to me that not everyone has computer files, journals, random notebooks, papers, and even scraps of paper filled with words. Not everyone is on the hunt for the perfect lesson illustration. (Side note: At one point in time, I was actually thinking of writing down all the illustrations from my life and indexing them for future use. I then decided I was not a pastor and could probably use that time in different ways.)
At this moment, all I really wanted to write about was this. My kids are in the next room watching garbage on TV. Yup. They are. [Significant pause to allow you to wonder why I am telling you this.....] It's a Bill Nye DVD called "Garbage". I thought it was pretty funny stuff to think of cheerfully telling people that my kids are watching garbage. I crack myself up. So many possibilities, such as this:
Boys: Mom, can we watch garbage again?
Me: Sure, boys!
Boys: You're the best, Mom.
or this
Pastor: Hi, boys. What have you been doing this week?
Boys: Well, we watched garbage on TV.
Pastor: Oh.
or this
Homeschool Mom: What did your kids do last night to unwind from such a busy day?
Me: They watched garbage on TV.
Homeschool Mom: Oh! Ummm, well, ummm....Wow.
Oh yeah, and I was also thinking really deeply about how many onions I use since I cook everything from scratch. Really, I use an appalling amount of onions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.