There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Not As Restful As I Had Hoped

Today was full. Our small group served at our church's monthly senior luncheon, so preparations consumed much of my afternoon yesterday. Then the actual luncheon set-up/serving/clean-up took much of this morning into mid-afternoon.

I am a rock star at just being a good old-fashioned work horse. You would want me on your kitchen crew or serving crew.

I am not so much a rock star at coming up with cute centerpieces, choosing a menu, organizing an event, and making sure we have enough, but not too much, food. You would not want me on your decorating, theme, menu crew. It makes me cry a little bit. Please remember this.

It all went very well (mostly thanks to an amazing group of small groupies), but it completely drained me.

So, naturally I came home and read a part of a book I had started awhile back. A book. Hot tea. Feet up. Aaaahhhh. Rest.

Unfortunately, it was a book called "The 100 Thing Challenge". Shortly after finishing the book, I found myself cleaning out the bathroom cabinet and linen closet and hallway "stuff" closet and plucking random things I never wear from my closet and bagging up projects I always pretend I will do but never do and.....yup, rest time over. The trash can is full. The garage has a pile of bags ready for the Goodwill.

And I haven't even sorted summer clothes from our complex system of hand-me-down tubs in the laundry room.

And I haven't even tackled the school area.

And I didn't even look in the direction of a toy.

Ay yi yi.

I really need to be careful what book I choose when I'm trying to relax.

1 comment:

  1. I think your next book should be about cruises to the Bahamas...

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.