Recently, Brian posted on Facebook. What he posted was really vulnerable and very real. He shared that he has lost 25 pounds. And, unlike some of the bragging and posing and facade on Facebook, he was sharing the real thing. Oddly, not one person commented. Not one person aside from me even pressed the "like" button. It was a beautiful post, full of gratitude for the work of the Holy Spirit in him and the joy of seeing this weight loss happen.
I haven't shared in my blog about any of Brian's weight loss efforts and challenges because until now, this was his private journey. It's exciting to be able to share a little now, even though vulnerability is still scary.
He has walked a long road when it comes to weight loss. For those of you who actually "get it" when it comes to weight struggles, his body does not want to lose weight. Weight loss does not come easily for him. He gets plenty of good advice about how he should not eat fast food or dessert or drink soda, usually from other people who do all of those things and don't struggle with their weight. Oh, did I mention he gave up soda years ago? It's also been widely assumed over the years that he does not exercise. So wrong. My man actually enjoys exercise and has exercised regularly for years. I guarantee he exercises harder than just about anyone. In this house, I am the one who does not enjoy exercise and has to force myself to do it. Brian, on the other hand, is a beast about exercise.
So this has left me watching his journey, his struggle, and his discouragement for years. But, because I have a front row seat, I know him like no one else. I didn't see a man who would look better if he lost weight. I have always seen my tall, dark, and handsome man who chose me and can still melt me when he smiles at me from across the room. I have seen a man who has failed and struggled and earnestly sought God in his weakness. He has taught me what it looks like to persevere. He's taught me how not to lash out at people who amuse themselves by pointing out someone else's weakness. He's the one who gets me out the door for a walk or trip to the gym.
I have also been given the gift of being Brian's biggest earthly fan. I've gone from a wife who thought cooking was beneath her (maybe a story for another blog) to a wife who will find out what food he wants and needs, and make sure he has it. I GET to be a helpmeet. There is such privilege here.
Brian still has weight to lose, but in the last few months, he has lost 25 pounds. Unless you have ever experienced the defeat of a weight struggle, this probably doesn't sound too impressive. But for us? We are seriously pumped about what God is doing around here. We continue to trust God in this. Even recently, Brian ate a bowl of cereal and a few more calories than usual and gained 5 pounds in 1 week. This is not an easy journey, but I'm in it every step of the way with my best friend. God's strength in our weakness--stunning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I get that journey from my own personal experience. It is not exactly the same, but I bet there are many of the same emotions. I think 25 lbs. is such a huge accomplishment and I know the sacrifices that have to be made to get there while watching everyone else go wild with food and have no issue whatsoever! Congratulations, Brian! I am celebrating with you. Patti, I know you get this, but your support really is so priceless. I have a hubby that supports me the way you support Brian. I don't know what I would do without that voice of truth in my life!!
ReplyDeleteApparently, I need to request friendship with Brian on Facebook! Go Brian, great job!
ReplyDeleteYEAH Brian! I do not see his post on Facebook. ??? Otherwise I totally would have commented! I am walking the same path he is and know the struggles he faces. Way to go Brian! You are looking great, although I still see the same kind guy I've always seen.
ReplyDeleteHey Patti! I finally checked my blogger...been too busy lately to get on here, and need to catch up. I did not see Brian's post and just looked at facebook to see if I could find it on his page because that IS AMAZING!!!! And I wanted to congratulate him. I didn't see it anywhere on there. Perhaps he should check his setting on the post? It may have been marked private or only for close family or something weird. I know there are LOTS of people that would love to congratulate him on his hard work, and I think it just didn't show up for people to see. He absolutely is an inspiration to so many...you both are.
ReplyDelete