There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Today's Questions

"Mom, do you know what graveline is?"
Me aloud: "Ummm, no."
Me thinking: "Should I be worried?"
Elijah proceeds to demonstrate the grapevine step.
Me: "Oh, you mean grapevine."
Elijah: "Yup, grapevine."

Question: Can finding women's underwear in Elijah's hand-me-down winter coat be topped?
Answer: I am unsure if it can be topped, but Joseph's hand-me-down warm-up pants did contain a hidden straight pin that left a jagged red bleeding slice from above his knee to below it.

Another question: Can a human being hit himself directly in the back of the head with a baseball bat causing himself to fall to his knees whimpering in pain and causing his mother to take a quick refresher on symptoms of a concussion? Answer: Yes. If a human being holds a baseball bat in front of his body with both hands and begins to hit a large, hard pile of snow, the bat can rebound with enough force to hit the holder in the back of his own head.

Riddle: Why were 9 couch cushions stacked in the middle of the living room floor?

Give up?

Because there weren't 10 to stack in the middle of the floor.

The real question here is why hurdling practice was set up approximately 6 minutes after someone had just been told to take it easy for awhile following an unfortunate baseball bat-to-skull situation. Seriously, equal and reactive pupils had not even been established. The person was still wincing and holding his head WHILE setting up hurdles.

Next question: What's good about a small house?
Answer: So much, actually, but here's one. I love my house for keeping me honest. There isn't a single room in my house that is large. I can't fit a coffee table in my living room unless I install a ramp on either end of it so people can still walk through. A king sized bed won't fit in this house. So how does this keep me honest?

It's hard for little messes to become big messes because little messes fill the whole room so I tend to pick up more often and not let huge piles grow quite as often.

I just taught a Sunday School lesson on guarding your heart and was so convicted to be reminded again that there is no such thing as small, manageable sin. There's no safe, unobtrusive, undamaging way to hold onto sin. But I know from bitter experience that taking care of sin while it's small is far less painful than waiting until it's a looming, stinky, rotting heap, wreaking havoc in all my relationships. Listening to the Holy Spirit is a lot like living in a small house--you are reminded far more often to take care of the messes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.