There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Big Summer

I have more going on this summer than I can handle on my own in a God-honoring manner. Having a special diet and a son who is celiac only compounds the madness of an already exploding summer. It is up to me to make sure my son will have food while he serves on a missions trip and while he is at camp, as well as when we travel. It is possible we are one of the few families left in the United States that does not rely on fast food--ever. I believe I have met 2 of the other 3 families that live like we do. There's no such thing as stopping by McDonald's while on the road or grabbing a quick bag of food from some drive-up after a baseball game. Our idea of fast food now is stopping by a grocery store and finding a bag of lettuce, baby carrots, lunch meat, rice crackers, cheese sticks, and water bottles.

It is while peering ahead into a summer that seems BIG and complicated that Jesus's words keep asking me to come back to where I am.

Do not worry about tomorrow.
Do not worry about tomorrow.
Do not worry about tomorrow.

So I thought I would take a break from worrying about tomorrow and just be thankful in the moment. Ideally, I will not go back to worrying about tomorrow....

Here's some of what I'm thankful for:

-I have contacts. Financial survival for us has meant constantly evaluating every expense. A few years ago, I ran out of contacts and switched to my out-of-date glasses. Two friends eventually paid for me to get a current prescription and better glasses, but I struggled with the headaches I always get from the pressure of glasses on my head and often chose to just do life through blurry vision. A few months ago, a check came in the mail most unexpectedly and it was enough to pay for a new prescription and a year of contacts. I have been absolutely thrilled to be wearing contacts for these last few months.

-We have yummy fresh coffee in the pantry thanks to a gift card. The majority of the time when Brian or I get a coffee gift card, we use it to stock up on coffee for home. This saves us money on groceries and gives us a pantry that smells like fresh coffee. Mmm-mmmm.

-Today, I saw in Joseph, a heart that desires to be generous with his money and action to follow. We've seen this so often over the years, but today, I saw it again. I am in awe of how God is working in him. There is such freedom in generosity.

-I am not preparing a Sunday School lesson this week. I do not resent teaching. Quite the contrary, I love it, but I felt my spirit drying up over the year and knew I needed a break, time to refill so I had something to give.

-I got an e-mail from Brian today that once again showed me we really are a match made in heaven. God brought us together and is now doing an amazing work of refining two quite imperfect people by grace.

-I made a way-better-than-just-edible loaf of bread today.

-As I so often say, God has put absolutely amazing people all around me who teach me, encourage me, help me laugh, pray for me, and bless me in so many ways.

And so gratitude wins again.

1 comment:

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.