Just around the corner, I will have a teenager. I love teenagers. I get sad every time I hear someone tell me how much they dread having a teenager or how they hate having a teenager. People say this all the time RIGHT IN FRONT of their kids. That's just great. Not only do kids have to weather the unique challenges of the teenage years, they have to do it knowing their parents don't really like them.
I'm a huge advocate for teenagers. I know, I know. A youth pastor's wife advocates for teens--stop the presses, right? But I am. I love their gawkiness when they enter and their beauty and strength when they graduate high school. I'm about to have one of these teenagers. I have no idea what the next years will hold, but does anyone? I've loved every age so far and I am eagerly anticipating what is to come. I'm not up to the challenges, but I never have been. What I do have is a God who loves me and loves my boy and has said he will never leave either of us. And I have a dream for my son that I have entrusted to God. I dream of seeing Joseph grow into a man utterly committed to and passionate about Jesus Christ.
Here's where the hard part is for me--this boy with the long legs and generous heart and huge desire to do what's right and really good basketball jump shot and rockin' third to first throw in baseball and intense loathing for math--this boy is growing up. I'm thinking the age I will not like so much is the age when I no longer have the joy of his company in the house each day.
This summer, I have found tears lurking entirely too often as I see this miracle baby of mine heading out to baseball or a missions trip or to work for someone or to ride his bike or to youth group or to a friend's house. What privilege has been mine and still is mine.
I am grateful that....
....he still asks me to scratch his back.
....he still goes out in the back yard and messes around with his little brother.
....he chose to save a huge sum of money to take all of us to Six Flags Over Texas.
....he loves youth group
....he still came out in the yard and played in the wading pool and had a water fight with his brother and me.
....he helped us build the best-so-far blanket fort in the basement.
....he's the one that asked his little brother to have a sleepover with him in the fort.
....he still asks me to read books aloud.
I savor these last days of my pre-teen and am excited to welcome him to the teen years soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.