Snow is falling again outside my window. My favorite way to spend this morning would be snuggled up inside my house in sweats, drinking coffee, switching over to hot tea, and either hanging out with my family or laughing and talking with friends. The coffee worked out. I will be switching over to hot tea soon. The rest? Well, sometimes snow and life intersect at inconvenient times. Two of the four of us are already gone. Basketball scrimmage. All four of us have somewhere we said we would be this afternoon. Afternoon and evening are Brian's Saturday workday. So, here is what I would like to chat about over coffee and tea in another scenario....a cozier one....
Last night when I went to bed, my not-so-SMARTphone told me the temperature was 10 and also told me it was 26. I have two different weather apps (don't know why) and they did not apparently agree. Whatever the real temp was, it was c-c-c-old.
Yesterday, I just shook my head at the way the people in this house eat. These men do not want some wimpy bowl of cereal for breakfast, they want MEAT. Cereal morning is code for "Mom is too busy to love us the way we deserve to be loved and she's punishing us with cereal". Cereal is a beloved snack, but not considered breakfast to anyone around here. I can't keep enough leftovers around which means I have to cook more dinners than I would prefer. Leftovers are often seen on breakfast plates and almost always on lunch plates. Yesterday, Joseph was eating oven-fried chicken, creamed spinach, and parmesan risotto for breakfast. He consumed the leftover meatballs for lunch. Whatever he didn't inhale was split between Brian and Elijah. And....here I am, again, trying to figure out dinner on day when I hoped to just have leftovers. Sigh.
I do have to say, the basement feels very nice these last few days. The boys and I spend lots of time in the basement. It's our family room, laundry room, playroom, homeschool room, and all-round place to be. I keep it chilly to try to save on bills. Brian was studying in the basement two days ago and turned up the heat. Wow, does it feel nice now. He couldn't believe how cold I was keeping it, and who am I to argue with the head of the household??
Elijah was wearing a new favorite hand-me-down shirt yesterday which depicts the cast of a Star Wars movie on it. Joseph pointed out that it looked like a bird had pooped on Han Solo's head. He was right. It looked exactly like a large gull had aimed directly for Han Solo and white stuff was trickling down the sides of his face. Upon close inspection, I discovered it was dried yogurt.
Yesterday, I had a few errands to run. One was to a place I have to occasionally go. Occasionally is a dangerous thing for someone like me who arrived on earth without a sense of direction or the ability to remember locations. I left early, knowing I would spend some time looking for it. I was right. However, it only took three wrong turns. Not bad, really. I arrived at my destination laughing really loudly...at myself...by myself. It wasn't so much the wrong turns as the way I was repeatedly flashing my brights at people in an effort to locate my windshield wiper fluid function. I am surprised at the people to whom the DMV issues licenses. I really am.
And, no, I haven't started my Christmas shopping. Today is not looking promising. I wonder how children feel about IOU's? Maybe slightly worse than they do about cereal for breakfast....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.