There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Long Silence

I've had a few messages this week, asking if I'm OK. When my blog goes silent, it often indicates that something is going on with me. It's true. Something is indeed going on. There are some places in my heart that are stirred up. I've been reflecting deeply. I've been questioning some things. I've been faced with my own inadequacy at every turn. I've seen some materialism rear its ugly head in my life. I've shed tears multiple times over this celiac life change for Joseph and the social isolation it has already caused for him. I'm not quite sure what all this looks like in a blog yet, so I'll start with some numbers about my recent days. Maybe some of the deep thoughts will make it into a blog soon.

Some numbers may be exaggerated, some may be estimated, some are exact:

19 - number of hours since we returned from a mini-getaway to Glenwood Springs.

0 - number of car accidents on our trip.

17 - number of car accidents I'm convinced we almost had on our trip.

4 - number of times we went to the Hot Springs Pool. Aaaaaahhhhh. I love that place.

2 - number of hours it took us to figure out one safe place we could eat that could accommodate food allergies and celiac.

100% - percent of the trip cost provided by God.

102.6 - Elijah's fever this morning.

2.4 miles - distance hiked to Hanging Lake (which does not include additional distance to Spouting Rock and the distance walked from the car to the trailhead).

2 - times I got to play laser tag on top of Iron Mountain with my family.

3 - times I got to ride the Alpine Coaster.

1 - times I screamed out loud on the gondola when a wind gust rocked the car.

90 - number of minutes the Fairy Cave tour lasted.

300 - number of minutes I would have preferred the Fairy Cave tour to last.

2 - number of times I fell asleep quickly at night even though I was away from home.

43 - temperature when we got out of the hot pool and stepped into bitingly cold wind.

0 - number of points the Broncos had at halftime on Monday night.

35 - number of points the Broncos had at the end of the game.

20ish - number of times we all started hollering at the TV during the Bronco game.

gazillion - times I was overwhelmed by the beauty of God's creation.

gazillion - times I was ecstatic to have time with my family.

1:30 - the time my friend arrived today for some long overdue but not long enough face time.

5 - loads of laundry I have already run since last night.

0 - number of minutes devoted to homeschool today.

6 - number of seconds remaining in which I can responsibly blog and not be avoiding my piles of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.