There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, November 23, 2012

Wrapping up Thanksgiving

A sweet two days was spent with various family members.

A not-so-sweet couple of trips up the interstate and back were also spent with me coming near to kissing the ground each time we safely arrived at our destination. Words fail to describe how much I dislike the interstate.

Our plan to decorate for Christmas has been postponed due to family-wide fatigue. However....I did get all the boxes out from under the stairs and neatly line them up in the downstairs hallway so we could be ready to get started on decorating tomorrow I could forget they were there, run into them in the dark, bounce off them wildly, and scream. That was incredibly startling and I do wonder why I walk so fast all the time. If it appears I will be making a habit of leaving large, solid objects in various places and forgetting about them, I should slow down my pace.

I am fine. Thanks for asking. No one else did. It's OK. Don't give them a hard time. You don't know what they live with. Lots of things make me scream--spiders, not realizing someone is behind me, spiders, forgetting to use oven mitts, dropping raw eggs on the floor, spiders, stubbing my toe, having a toilet overflow, getting shocked by a light switch, spiders, remembering something super funny (more of a scream-laugh than a pure scream, but still startling and loud), pinching my hand in one of the loathesome bi-fold doors that occupy every room in my house, spiders. Anyway, they are pretty used to hearing me scream. And, since I'm OK, it's not like they will change their ways anytime soon.

I am so thankful for these 3 guys that put up with me. They really help me not take myself so seriously.

I am so thankful for the extended family I got to see in the last two days. They also help me not take myself so seriously.

I am so thankful I didn't get some huge injury I would have to explain when I walked into those Christmas boxes at top speed.

I am so thankful to never walk a step alone, that even when it's just me in the dark slamming into unexpected boxes, God is there, every step. I'm pretty sure he laughs right along with me. I like feeling his smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.