There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Book

I finished a book I would recommend. It took me forever to read it. I actually took notes. It was deep and rich and made me think A LOT. It was "Reaching for the Invisible God" by Philip Yancey. I might share more from it at some time, but this quote is one of the many that grabbed me and has been on my mind:

"Indeed, in an odd sort of way, human beings need problems more than we need solutions. Problems stretch us and press toward dependence on God. As the Bible reiterates, success represents a far greater danger. Samson, Saul, Solomon, and score of others show that success leads toward pride and self-satisfaction, a path away from dependence and often a prelude to a fall."

1 comment:

  1. One of my all time favorite books. I didn't want it to come to an end.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.