There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dialogue around Applesauce

Earlier this week, I got a really special blessing--a zillion pounds of fresh, windfall apples. It's definitely a blessing that comes with some effort, though. Whew! My hands are really feeling the effects of peeling and chopping apples for a few days. I actually decided to give away some of this blessing because I was afraid I would run out of time, the apples would go bad, and I would have wasted something really cool. Honestly, I'm having kind of a strange brand of fun making organic applesauce. My house is a wreck, but I'm living a bit of Little House on the Prairie....I am also trying a technique my friend told me about where you chop up apples, put them immediately into salt water, then drain and freeze to use in apple recipes. I am hoping to have a apple bounty in my freezer for a few months to come. I did my first big batch for today (I have to take breaks in between batches) with Elijah standing next to me on a stool chattering. It was wonderful! Here's a sample:

E: Can I help you make applesauce?

M: Sure.
(Mom peels and chops one apples. Elijah puts it into the lemon water to keep it from turning brown.)

E: (huge sigh) I'm TIRED from making all this applesauce. I need something to drink.

M: Okay.
(Mom peels and chops another apple. Elijah eats a slice.)

E: Mmmmmm! This is good. Can I eat the apple?

M: Well, it looks like you already did. You can have as much as you want.

E: I only want one. (E eats another slice.) Well, maybe I want two.
(Mom continues to peel and chop. Elijah continues to eat.)

M: Don't eat too many. You can get a tummyache from too many apples.

E: But I'm starving for apples.
(More peeling, chopping, munching)

E: Mommy, my birthday is in October, but October is MILES away!

M: Miles, huh? That's a long time

E: (dramatic sigh) Yeah, it's a long time.

SOME TIME LATER:

E: My tummy is too full from apples. (He bends over and groans. Mom smiles but says nothing.)

M: Well, I'm just about done. This is the last apple for now. I'm tired from peeling and chopping. I think I'll take a break.

E: I'm tired from eating. I think I'll take a break too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.