There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Shiver of Anticipation

I am really cold right now. The prior owners accidentally installed sieves instead of windows. It is time to put up our annual plastic wrap window covering stuff in the basement, lest we end up enjoying frigid air blowing steadily in through the sieves...errr...windows all winter. I do get nervous about our boiler keeping up with the heating load as the temperature plummets. Literally, the temperature is plummeting. I walked in short sleeves a few hours ago and now cold rain is falling. I am checking radar maps every 6 minutes because I am oddly excited about potential snow. I don't like having to drive in it and I'm sure I won't enjoy this snow if we lose a bunch more tree branches (since our leaves still haven't all fallen), but I am almost as excited as a kid about having snow. Keep in mind....this is a homeschool mom's perspective. I don't have to drive anywhere tomorrow. In my past life, I commuted to work. Snow didn't seem exciting in any sense at that time in my life. I also did not enjoy a heavy snow earlier this year when I had to get to downtown Denver for a doctor's appointment in the middle of it. But.....I just feel oddly excited at the moment.

I thought I'd share some good things I've found recently as I sit here shivering.

1) Betta fish food has come a long way. It's now pellets and our tank is so pretty and clean all the time. It used to be a gunk fest. Either that, or this current fish doesn't....ummmm....get rid of waste?

2) The Western Museum of Mining and Industry in Colorado Springs. I liked it surprisingly well and it held the boys' interest. We all learned a ton and they have fabulous huge machines that they actually run! (I have some cousins who should just possibly see this....hint, hint)

3) A friend told me about a free app on the Android (oh yeah, I'm speakin' SMARTphone now, baby) called Remember Me. You can create flashcards for your Bible memory verses on your phone. I think it's cool. Brian is all over it and loves not having to haul around battered index cards. I still have my index cards, but am sort of toying with using the app as well.

Wow, I am really cold. Hot tea. Blanket. Fuzzy socks. It's time. Shiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.