There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Where's the Beef?

For that matter, where is food of any kind in this house? I seem to have lost all energy to cook and it shows. Most of my storage containers are clean, empty, and in a cabinet. That is typically a bad sign, since we tend to live on leftovers. The pantry is echoing. I don't buy many canned goods, but I usually have a few. I am down to maybe 6 cans in the whole pantry. The refrigerator looks like we cleaned it out to go on vacation. The freezer has big empty spaces in it. I can't stock up like I used to because regular groceries cost so much that most of my grocery money goes into just what we need and not much left for surplus.

All these observations of emptiness and I still don't want to cook. I go through these cooking slumps where if I was alone I would be living on cheese, apples, and Rice Chex. It's just that other people depend on me. These people also tend to ALWAYS be hungry.

I totally crashed Sunday night and yesterday. This body of mine just crashes and it did. I could hardly function, let alone cook. I guess I must have looked pretty pathetic because Brian treated us all to take-out Chipotle last night. I haven't had Chipotle in a number of weeks and it's one of the only fast foods I can eat, so it was a fabulous treat. But, last night is over, and I still must cook....

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I know this feeling all too well. I think I would be a lot skinnier if it were up to me to cook...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through cooking slumps too. Sometimes my own cooking makes me lose my appetite...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used all of my grocery budget for the month on Oct. 15. Now, I am cooking lots of things for my family that don't go together normally. My pantry will probably look like yours when the month is over.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.