This week's theme? Achoo. Hay fever has come with a vengeance. I am sporting swollen, red eyes and sneezing a lot. Yes, I'm taking allergy medicine and using the neti pot. No, they are not getting rid of all the symptoms. Achoo. Let's just say, given my current histamine levels, that exposure to some of my big food allergens or to latex could have some pretty serious consequences. Allergies build and mine are building rapidly right now.
I did have a pity party this week. Yup. I get to feeling so limited and frustrated and a little scared. It's cool, though. In it all, I find this place I go where I don't feel limited or scared or isolated. It's when I'm sitting with God, Bible and prayer journal in hand. It's like I'm home. I don't know how else to explain it. I stayed up late last night just to sit with Him and read and journal. Home.
Achoo. Sniffle.
The last three weeks have brought an onslaught of injuries for the boys. There are only two of them, but they have managed to hurt themselves spectacularly and repeatedly. So far, some have been scary, but they have all resolved without anything serious. The latest was a hand full of splinters. One was huge and deep. Dr. Mom has been working overtime with bandages and tweezers and all kinds of goodies. The First Aid box has been out A LOT. I'm pretty good at doctoring minor injuries. My basic supplies are:
-needle and tweezers (for splinters)
-rubbing alcohol (for sterilizing the needle and tweezers)
-hydrogen peroxide
-soap and water (my absolute number one first aid combo for scrapes and cuts)
-cotton balls (they are gentler when cleaning out the wound with soap and water)
-Q-tips (great for dabbing on peroxide or calendula)
-calendula ointment (a favorite homeopathic healing ointment for scrapes and cuts that I buy at my health food store)
-arnica cream (another homeopathic ointment for bruises and swelling, very good for rolled ankles and various bruises)
-various sizes of latex-free bandages
-gauze and first aid tape (for those large abrasions)
-reusable ice pack
Achoo.
I may be good at the minor injury treatment, but I'm ready for the boys to stay in one piece for awhile now.
As for me, I am sporting a cold sore. Really super ugly. I dislike these intensely. There is no way around looking disgusting. Abreva helps them not live as long, but you still have to endure the blisters, followed by an open sore, followed by oozing crust. It just takes so long to heal and I am fighting the urge to hide in my house until it's gone. I feel terrible that people have to look at me. It must be awful for them. Blech.
Achoo.
We received a weird letter from our insurance company this week. They feel we are in an area with potential high danger of wildfire this summer and wanted us to know. Ummmm, thanks?
Achoo.
Oh, one more thing. I tried making kale chips this morning since they are all the rage. It was easy. They're not awful, but I'm not so sure I'll make them again. The boys were not terrifically impressed and I guess they weren't my favorite. It would be nice to actually like super-duper nutritious things. If you've ever head of them, they are worth trying. They are pretty interesting and kale was $.98 this week. It's a pretty cheap way to hop on the bandwagon and give it a try. Maybe you'll have better luck at your house. As for me, I'm having leftover gluten-free apple cobbler for lunch....
And I actually really need to go blow my nose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.