There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dear Dad,

It was 14 years ago today that you got to go see Jesus. I'm still jealous. Just last night, Elijah said, "Mom, I really wish I knew what Jesus looks like." I've been thinking that same thing for most of my life. And you know what he looks like!

You probably already know Whitney, but I can't wait for you to meet the boys someday too. They are amazing kids. Joseph is so tall. His feet are bigger than mine. He loves everything to do with sports. He is kind and compassionate and he thinks very deeply. Joseph's middle name is Ronald. Yes, he's named after you. Elijah is hilarious. He's really big for his age, but he has this sweet, sparkly nature and tries to talk to everyone. Elijah has a lot of uncanny resemblances to you. Both of them have beautiful brown eyes. They've never met you, but they've heard all about you.

Brian and I are still married. That year that Whitney and you both went to see Jesus, we didn't do so well. Thank you for praying for me for all those years before, and then for Brian too. We sure didn't do anything to stay together, but God extended deep grace toward us, and we sure like being married. Brian has been pastoring for years now. He still talks about you in sermons and lessons. He really misses you.

You know what? I still head to the phone sometimes so that I can call and tell you about something or ask you about something.

I really wish I could have said good-bye to you. You were there and then you were gone and I was hundreds of miles away. There's an unfilled space in my life that was just yours.

Mom is doing really well. You should see her paintings, and the yard is still beautiful. She misses you. We all do. Kathi is still so gentle and kind. Christi still has that giggle. The grandkid gatherings are heavily weighted toward boys and Nerf guns (you would love them) and noise, but the girls can hold their own. You are going to love this group when we're all together again.

Without Jesus, the Jesus you loved and served and taught us about, there would be no hope. Good-bye or no good-bye...separation would be forever. Thank you for pointing us toward Jesus and hope and life. We'll see you soon.

Love,
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.