There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, May 21, 2012

Temperature Differences

I often laugh about the way each member of my family perceives temperature.

Scenario #1: Brian wakes up before anyone, pretty much always. He loves fresh morning air and opens every possible window if the temperature is above 39 degrees outside. When the boys wake up, they shiver, their teeth chatter, and they loudly protest the fresh air, claiming they are freezing to death.

Scenario #2: If I am cold, I insist that everyone around me put on a hoodie and/or socks. I cannot stand to see bare feet when I am cold. Yes, my family laughs about having to take hoodies in the car because mom is cold.

Scenario #3: I wash a lot of dishes by hand, but any other member of the family who puts their hand in my dishwater immediately starts howling that their skin is peeling off.

Scenario #4: Brian sleeps in sweats on warm nights when I am almost ready to meltdown from heat in our non-air-conditioned house.

Scenario #5: Joseph nearly gets sick to his stomach at the thought of a full set of PJ's. Even in the dead of winter, he just has PJ boxers and medium-weight covers or he approaches heat stroke. Meanwhile, I'm in the next room in flannels, shivering under my down blanket.

Scenario #6: Joseph takes showers that would leave me blistered from heat. Steam billows out the door when he comes out after a shower. And yet, he cannot touch my dishwater??

Scenario #7: Elijah takes showers and baths that are lukewarm and I worry about hypothermia. Anything approaching warm and he starts to get very upset and claim it's really hot.

Scenario #8: We were at a hotel swimming pool awhile back. It was the singularly coldest pool water into which I have ever attempted to enter. When I say "attempted", I mean "attempted". I never made it in all the way. I thought it was dangerously cold. The rest of the family played rather happily in the arctic pool. I still think their lips looked blue....

Scenario #9: Elijah's favorite way to drink tea is to boil water, steep the tea, then add ice until it's mostly cold. Today, it was lukewarm so I told him it would be fine and he didn't need ice. He cautiously brought the mug near his face and then shrieked dramatically: "It's like a campfire in my face!!"

So which of us really perceives temperature correctly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.