There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday

More rain is coming. I hope. The forecast says so. The sky sure looks that way. And, here in our semi-desert climate, the air is humid! My hair is happy. Fluffy, but happy.

This was an odd Sunday. I didn't go to the church service or teach. Whenever this happens, I realize that there is something missing when I don't set aside time to gather with believers and serve believers on Sunday. There's just something different about Sunday. Elijah has had a pink eye since yesterday and I didn't think he should be around other kids. Since it happened on the weekend (of course), I decided to forego urgent care costs and see if it cleared up. So far, it hasn't. So, Pinky and I stayed home.

It's good to miss out on celebrating with other believers for a week, and realize it really is a loss.

It's good to sit and really think about what happened on that Resurrection Sunday 2000 years ago.

It's good to remind myself of the importance of the body of Christ, the importance of gathering, the importance of setting aside time every week for this.

It gave me some time to sit and read with Elijah and to do some reading of my own.

I'm on a new pile of books. Recently I've completed a few:
(I am having a fight with the italics function in my blog, so I have not italicized. You'll just have to deal with my lack of properly handling titles.)

Mud, Sweat, and Tears, by Bear Grylls
Yes, I know I'm a bit goofy, but I just find this guy fascinating. The book covers a lot of his growing-up years, his SAS years, and his climb up Mt. Everest. It's not for kids, but it's a really interesting book.

Grace-Based Parenting, by Tim Kimmel
I copied down some things onto note cards from this book. It was very worthwhile and a good reminder to extend the same grace to my children that God has extended to me. I didn't feel browbeaten by a "how to be a better parent" checklist, rather I felt encouraged and taught.

Wheat Belly, by William Davis, M.D.
This book was way too much information. I had a fairly dim view of wheat before I started. I now think wheat should be banned. This "wheat" we now eat is so NOT the wheat God originally gave to us and our bodies are telling us that in a hundred different ways. Then we just shove in another donut and tell it be be quiet. Brilliant.

Proverbs, by Solomon and some other guys
I have been so struck by my need for wisdom everywhere I turn. Proverbs kind of slapped me in the face a few times this time around, but it also reminded me that wisdom is mine for the asking. I just have to ask.

I am halfway through "Prodigal God" by Tim Keller. I was going to post some quotes from it. Then I realized I would have to type up the first half of the book verbatim. Read it.

I think I hear rain....yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.