There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, July 2, 2010

Mom, There's a Spider

....and action....[the original screenplay continues]

JOE: Mom, there's a spider down here!

MOM: [from the kitchen, having just arrived from the 87th child-based request for help elsewhere in the house] OK, so kill it.

JOE: Can you kill it?

MOM: No, just do it like I taught you. Find a shoe and whack it.

ELIJAH: [pounds up the stairs loudly, out of breath] I don't like spiders. I'm afraid of spiders.

MOM: OK, so stay up here.

ELIJAH: [running back downstairs] But I want to learn how to kill spiders.

JOE: [no actual words but the distinct sound of thumping and whacking from the basement, LOTS of thumping and whacking]

MOM: [concerned facial expression as if wondering exactly how large the spider was based on the amount of noise] Did you kill it?

JOE: Ummm, I can't find it.

ELIJAH: [pounding back up stairs] I'm afraid of spiders.

MOM: OK, so stay upstairs.

ELIJAH: [running back downstairs] But I want to learn how to kill spiders.

JOE: I think it hid behind something. I can't find it.

Writer's note--in all likelihood, the spider died of heart failure induced by the wild, noisy chase or it is still trembing on its little eight legs....

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.