My baby turned 10 this past week. Double digits seems like kind of a big deal to me. There's no going back. It's less and less about taking care of things he can't do for himself and more and more about preparing him for what lies ahead in the best way I can. Of course, one thing hasn't changed--it's about loving him through it all and pointing him toward his heavenly Father always.
I wanted to share some pictures from our celebrations of this 10 year milestone.
Bowling as a family was fun--for everyone else. I am abysmal at bowling. It's sad when your children pat you on the back and gently ask you if you would rather put the bumpers up....
This was a different year for Joseph. He is beginning to understand that no toy or gift will bring him lasting satisfaction. He had a hard time deciding what he wanted this year because he knew it would only satisfy him short-term. It was neat to watch the gratitude in him this year for what people gave him. It was more about feeling loved this year, than grabbing stuff to make himself happy. He even made some really generous decisions with money he received. As you can tell from the pictures, he did receive swimming goggles. I had a hard time convincing Elijah that he didn't need to wear the extra pair to church last weekend.
We did a family baseball game like last year. We had a smaller turnout and hot sun so the game was short, but fun. I am actually a professional spectator in baseball and my family is happy to let me watch. None of them are that excited about a trip to the ER with me because of an injury related to my lack of ability to catch a ball.
So.....10 years ago, this young man was born. I never thought I would have a child. Longing and loss had filled 9 years of my life. As C.S. Lewis said so well: "I was surprised by joy." Happy Birthday, my precious gift from God.
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.