There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wait

Today, the morning was going well. The boys were doing well on chores and getting started on school. I needed a shower. As you may have guessed from prior blog posts, showers are a bit of a problem around here. No one ever seems to remember that I'm headed for the shower or in the shower.

Anyway, I headed off to the shower leaving clear instructions about 2 things:
1) Joseph, work on math. If there's a problem you don't understand, move on. Wait for me and I'll help you with whatever you don't understand after my shower.

2) Elijah, wait for me and I'll help you with Dad's old cell phone. (There's a game on it he likes to play--Ms. PacMan.) It needs to be charged, but you have to wait for me.

So, my warm, refreshing, peaceful shower began. I finished, dressed, and started on my hair. I noticed there was an odd noise in the house. Then I identified it. Faint sounds of crying, but I couldn't tell if it was coming from upstairs or downstairs. Turns out, both. Joseph was downstairs, stuck on a math problem, not moving on, just crying in frustration. Elijah was upstairs, having not been able to figure out how to charge the old phone, having banged his hand on something hard in frustration, crying.

Hmmmm. I stopped and thought really, really hard. One thing could have averted this sudden change from a good morning to a sad one. All they had to do was WAIT. Just follow one, simple instruction--WAIT. Except there's a problem. No one likes to wait. We just don't. There was nothing odd about my kids not wanting to wait. No one wants to wait. The idea of needing to wait is all over the Bible. It's not exactly an obscure biblical concept.

WAIT. OK, so don't wait, Abram and Sarai. Go ahead and make a hash out of things and create a permanent, mortal enemy for God's chosen people because you didn't wait.

WAIT. Oh, well go ahead and offer those sacrifices, Saul. You'll only lose your kingdom in one moment and end up turning into a wacko who hauls your spear everywhere, randomly throwing it at people.

WAIT. Or build an idol. Whatever you think is best. A lot of people will have to die and Moses will completely freak out, but go ahead with that idol, Aaron.

WAIT. Long past your limits. Long past explanation. WAIT.

WAIT on the LORD; be strong and take heart and WAIT on the LORD. It could make all the difference. I WAITED patiently on the LORD; he inclined and heard my cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.