There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ye Olde English

I was journaling this morning, just reflecting on the morning, yesterday, what I had just read in the Word, life in general.....Here's an excerpt: Please, I want to have great energy to please you and delight in you, to love you and love others well this day. This place of mercy and forgiveness wast not mine to claim.....

OK, it goes on. I just want to stop and ask: Did anything jump out at you? Perhaps the word "wast"?! Good night. To be honest, I don't read much from King James anymore, although I still think the KJV poetry of the Psalms is unrivaled by any other translation. Where in the world did I get "wast"? Is that even a word? Just fascinated by what I find lurking in my brain. I'm so glad God placed me in a family where I would hear the Word and be memorizing at an early age so that now, as my brain seems to feel a bit brittle and forgetful, I have this treasure store that remains. Yeah, I know--"wast" doesn't really count as the treasure store, but I'm so thankful for the actual treasure mixed in with the "wasts". This was a good reminder to continue exposing my kids to God's Word over and over and to continue working with them on memorization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.