There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Same Song, 892nd Verse

Today feels like a day I have lived many times over. I woke up and just knew I felt this. I prayed that I could rejoice in THIS day that the Lord made. I'm still hanging on by my toenails, but not feeling the rejoicing. Seriously, how many times have I been to Walmart, the library, the church building, King Soopers? How many times have I cleaned the bathroom, done laundry, loaded the dishwasher, unloaded the dishwasher, made my bed? The sameness of it is getting to me today. Here's another part of the sameness. I am adding to the screenplay based on real life, but it will sound suspiciously like others....

MOM: Boys, I'm going to take a quick shower. (no movement, no response) Boys? Can you hear me? (no movement, no response) Boys, please look into my eyes. I need to tell you something.

BOYS: Oh. What, Mom?

MOM: I'm going to take a quick shower and then we'll head out for errands.

BOYS: OK. (Mom heads off to shower.)

60 seconds later.....

E: (from across the house) Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom!

MOM: (from bathroom, trying to use a well-modulated voice and not able to leave the bathroom because she has already undressed) Yes? Elijah? Can you hear me?

E: Mom! Mom! Mom! Where ARE you???? Mom!

MOM: (deep breathing begins, small spirals of smoke begin to gently spiral from ears, speaks more loudly) I'm in the bathroom!

E: Mom! Mom!

MOM: (finally abandoning all attempts at well-modulated voice) I'm in the bathroom! Please come to the door!

E: (sound of running footsteps, bathroom door bursts open, Mom realizes rookie mistake of forgetting to lock door) Oh, there you are, Mom.

MOM: Elijah, please close the door. I'm getting ready to take a shower.

E: Oh yeah. I forgot. (runs off happily with no apparent need for anything at all)

Mom takes shower.

1 comment:

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.