There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, November 26, 2010

Bone Deep

Bone deep weariness has overtaken me. Many, many miles have been driven this week. Many, many side dishes have been taken to various locations. I had a rough patch with allergies this week that sidelined me for most of a day. I'm glad I didn't know exactly how taxing this week was going to be or I would have opted out! As with anything that stretches me, it also came with so much good. I have seen so many dear people this week. Many have traveled in from various places. I have lost count of how many people God has gifted to me as friends and family in the course of my life. (Honestly, I've lost track of some of their names too....just ask my most gracious second cousin....) My boys have been saturated in family time and I am grateful.

I am approaching December with some trepidation. I usually do. I deeply desire the peace that Jesus brought between God and me to rule my heart and mind. I also desire December to be a month where my gift to those around me more than anything else is prayer--to my friend whose son is in the hospital, to family going through job loss and other dark places or hard changes, to the 3 men in this house, to those I love who are far away, to those I love who are near.

These weary bones need to figure out a dinner plan now....

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.