There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Extrovert Perhaps??

I am an introvert. People sometimes assume that because I like public speaking, teaching, and can hold my own in a conversation that I am an extrovert. Nope. Introvert. Completely.

An extrovert lives in my house. He is 5 years old. After a solid weekend of staying at someone else's house while Brian was at a youth event, housesitting, and babysitting 3 extra kids, we attended the annual church Thanksgiving potluck. Just under 2 hours of noise, long lines, crowd, constant conversation...and we finally headed home. Having taught Sunday School this morning as well, I have filled my introvert's people quota for about the next three months.

Quote from the 5-year-old extrovert as we walked in the door: "Oh, I wish we could do that Thanksgiving dinner again." (dramatic sigh)

Mom: "You mean next year?"

Extrovert: "No, I mean right now." (another dramatic sigh)

At this point, mom and her 10-year-old introverted son looked at each other and realized we will never be extroverts. Introverts are now headed for PJ's. Extrovert is still wearing jeans, perhaps hoping we will find another party before the night is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.