Darkness all around.
Children died today.
Fathers and mothers had their most precious gift on earth cruelly torn from them.
Someone killed little children on purpose.
Presents will sit unopened this Christmas.
Stockings will become a memorial over the hearth.
Doting grandparents just outlived their grandchildren.
Siblings just lost their constant companion and best friend.
Beds still rumpled from last night's sleep will stay empty, always.
I'm having a hard time with this.
Sitting with my son on the couch, listening to him read, my eyes wouldn't stay dry.
I have no flowing sentences to write.
I have no wit to share.
Drained.
Darkness.
Guns.
Death.
Violence.
Cruelty.
Hatred.
How strong the enemy is this day.
How cruel his hate.
Yet I heard the bells on Christmas Day, their old familiar carols play, and wild and sweet, the words repeat of peace on earth, goodwill to men.
A carol, written in a time of darkness, death, violence--just like today.
Peace?
Where?
When?
How?
And in despair, I bowed my head: "There is no peace on earth," I said, "For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth goodwill to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep, "God is not dead, nor doth he sleep; the wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with peace on earth goodwill to men."
My thoughts swirl.
My tears fall.
My heart aches.
Light of the world, you stepped down into darkness.
You are our hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.