There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Latest Kitchen Attempt

I have a goal that I will try cooking something new at least twice a month. So far, I have come up with a few things we never want to have again and many things that have been really good. Tonight, it was homemade pizza with wheat-free/gluten-free/egg-free crust. The crust was much easier to make than I thought it would be. The ingredients were pretty odd, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It also didn't have the nasty aftertaste of the store-bought pre-made pizza crust mix. (When I served the store-bought gluten-free stuff to my kids, they wouldn't take more than 1 bite and I actually peeled the topping off of my own and threw away the crust.) I topped tonight's pizza with sauce, cheese, black olives, crumbled sausage and carmelized onions. I had never carmelized onions either, so it was two new things in one night. My kids ate normal crust, same toppings and said it was good. I was not brave enough to experiment on them again with a "weird" crust. My special pizza was surprisingly good, keeping in mind that one's perspective changes dramatically when "normal" food is no longer available. So, I get to be done experimenting until next round....

1 comment:

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.