There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, March 15, 2010

Ring Ring

I have a bit of a struggle. It centers around the phone. The struggle? I don't know when I should be answering it and when I shouldn't. I have read all the time management advice about the phone as it relates to my spiritual life, my family life, homeschool, and good manners. If I follow it all, I will rarely answer the phone again. Here are the times I feel it is important not to answer the phone:

1) During my quiet time in the morning or any prayer or Bible time throughout the day.
2) During homeschool.
3) During any time I have set aside for my kids, whether it's reading or games or just time together.
4) During most of the time Brian is home, since he is not home all that often.
5) After 9pm.
6) During the bedtime process for my kids.
7) During a meal.
8) If someone else is at my house or with me (with rare exceptions).
9) While I am checking out at a store.
10) Almost anytime I am driving. (I do not make a good distracted driver.)

This doesn't even include the times I just can't answer the phone because I am showering, vacuuming, carrying groceries, etc. So, I am stuck. I don't want to be a hermit, but I am having a tough time with this. I don't have many time slots left to answer the phone. If I don't answer the phone, people think I am avoiding them, when really, I'm just abiding by a boundary I have set. So, I really haven't reached a good place about all this. Just sharing an honest struggle.

1 comment:

  1. I think if your prompt about calling people back when you do have the free time, then its ok. Its good to have boundaries. It shows your kids that family is most important.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.