There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vocab Lessons

I had a moment yesterday when I realized it was probably good Joseph was homeschooled. Really good. The moment came during vocabulary. Joseph was using words in sentences. His sentence for the word "shut"?

Please shut the door to the refrigerator or I'll kill you.

I have to admit, I laughed hysterically. The sentence was valid. It used the word in a complete sentence. But....what in the world would a schoolteacher have thought of my parenting? Honestly, I've never said that. Actually, I've never threatened death for any obedience issue or anything else for that matter. Where does this stuff come from? As I've been learning with 2 boys, they seem to be born with a fascination regarding weapons and war and violence. Joseph has been playacting with dinosaurs and soldiers and action figures since before he could talk. There is always some sort of battle scene. Elijah greets me in the morning by head-butting my leg and trying to wrestle me. We joke that violence is his love language. These boys have a God-given bent to take action, to fight for what is important. I do pray that God will mold them into men who take the right action and fight for what is important.

Anyway, I have found myself chuckling every time I close the refrigerator door since yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate. The stories and sentences that Cody comes up with are shocking and hilarious all at the same time. I just have to pray his teacher knows what kind of parents we are. So far, so good. Not to mention that he ALWAYS favors the bad guy in his video games and movies. Did he want to be Luke Skywalker for Halloween? Oh, no, he had to be Darth Vader. Couldn't he be Spiderman for Halloween? Oh, no, he had to be Venom. I pray he gets his bad guy fix out while he is young.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.