We don't have TV and I'm not much of a news junkie. (Yes, I know enough to know there was a volcanic eruption in Iceland....) Every once in awhile, I click on a news story. This week, I clicked on the story of the 4-year-old boy, Ethan Stacy, who was beaten regularly, neglected, disfigured and eventually murdered by his stepfather. All this, with his mother's knowledge. I cried. I cried so hard my eyes swelled up. I cried knowing that Ethan died alone and unloved, thinking he was worth nothing to anyone. I cried looking at his tiny little face and glasses and blonde hair in the news photo. I cried because I have a 4-year-old. Then I cried, imagining the reception he had when it was all over. The stark contrast between darkness and hatred and pain, to light and life and Jesus. I've actually cried several times since that intial reading, mourning the pain in his earthly life and being aware he was not the only child suffering. What can I do right now?
-Treat my own children as Jesus asks me to.
-Treat the children I teach as Jesus asks me to.
-Believe that God sees all wrongs and nothing ever gets by him. He is utterly fair and just.
-Pray for opportunities and be ready to be the very hands and feet of Jesus in the life of a child as God allows.
-Rejoice that Ethan's life did not escape God's notice. Not even a sparrow falls without God seeing it. How much more does he care for this child made in His image?
Even so....come quickly, Lord Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.