There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

From All Angles

Today has brought a flavor of everything--some discouragement, some laughs, some sweetness, some beauty, and some fear. Lots of angles on life. It wouldn't be fair to say the day has been all bad or all good or just so-so.

OK, the fear. It's always waiting to creep up on me. I had to fill my meds today and those pages and pages of possible side effects and lists of what the meds are supposed to prevent are kind of scary. I also had some fear moments with some dogs on my walk today. I think people need to be realistic about the strength and height of their fence vs. the size and ferocity of their dog. Let's just say not all large, unpleasant dogs were behind their fences today.

Discouragement--More car repairs. Other car. Really? With the money we've spent on car repairs in the course of our marriage, we could have taken a real vacation....many times. More discouragement. I am truly in a different place of physical strength now, and I get discouraged about my new pace sometimes.

Laughs--I am still laughing about something that happened last night. Everyone had gone to bed. I had stayed up past my limit, therefore I couldn't sleep. I was enjoying my current read ("Cold Tangerines" by Shauna Niequist) when a large spider ran out from under the couch. I hate spiders, but I was so full of courage and calm and I killed it! The rest of the story is that I killed it with a shoe...by hitting it repeatedly....according to my no longer sleeping son and husband....I hit it many times....I was more or less told I could have killed a small animal with the amount of blows I struck. I am still laughing. I'm not sure if they've laughed yet.

Beauty--The color of the sky on this windy March day has been stunning. The blues have taken my breath away. I have also been bowled over by the beauty of the way God is providing our daily bread. One day at a time.

Sweetness--3 sets of brown eyes to greet me this morning. I love these 3 guys God gave me. More sweetness came in the form of a granola delivery to my house. I love granola. Completely. My aunt took the time to make me my kind of granola with none of my allergens. It might be my dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, the dog thing, really annoying. I can't walk Hazel by myself because there is ALWAYS a dog loose in our neighborhood. ALWAYS. So frustrating. Take some mace, and a nice stick. Or you could get a paintball gun ;o)

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.