There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, August 4, 2011

11 Years Ago....

....I was either wildly sick to my stomach or holding my new baby boy. I didn't handle my c-section anesthesia too well, or the pain medication for that matter, so I felt pretty awful. But....there was this baby boy. I couldn't believe my eyes. 9 years of waiting. 9. And, there he was.

I never sent him to the nursery. Everyone told me to. They told me to rest while I could. Maybe they were right. I don't know. I was pretty tired for the next....ummm, well, I'm still tired. All I know is I kept him there right with me. Today, I'm glad I did. Today on this day of his 11-year-old birthday, I didn't get the whole day with him just to soak in his life. He would probably think it was pretty odd if I held him and watched his face all day. He spent much of the day with friends and I was so glad he could. I'm glad I spent that first birthday with him. As he grows up and my role changes, the bittersweet of it all really grabs my heart, but I can't fail to miss the miracle of this life God has allowed in mine for 11 years.

I still don't know why God worked the way He did. I don't know why He allowed me this boy when people I love dearly still don't have biological children. I ask Him about it sometimes. I also ask Him why He chose me to rescue and redeem.

Looking ahead, it is hard to face that I will not always get to have Joseph with me every day. For now, I think I'll just allow gratitude for the 11 years to splash all over me and pray for grace and wisdom to continue to love and guide this boy.

1 comment:

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.