There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, August 11, 2011

New Thing

I am so efficient and amazing at homeschooling that I have decided to fill all that extra time I have with something new. I just didn't have enough challenges....NOT. Here's the scoop on my new thing:

For several years, I have been praying (and doing some crying and grieving) about the struggles Joseph has with school. This boy is smart. He works hard. He perseveres. He just struggles. It is hard to share about this because I never want to say anything that will intensify his frustration and sense of shame over these struggles. We have looked into many different things to help struggling learners and all of them came with a massive price tag and no clear direction for our family. We have implemented dietary changes, supplements, certain exercises, piano lessons, and anything else we could possibly offer to help lighten the load on Joseph. A few weeks ago, God literally placed a book in my hands and I knew it was what I needed to do next. I have been praying for God to direct us and here it is.

I will be doing something called Brain Integration Therapy with both boys. Although Elijah is kindergarten age and I don't know what his challenges will be yet as far as school is concerned, the therapy cannot hurt, it can only help. So....this is about to become a part of each school day.

It is a lot for me to learn, to process, do figure out how to do accurately and well and consistently. Honestly, I suspect this therapy will be good for me as well.

I do not know what the outcome will be. I am facing a learning curve that is intimidating for me, but....there is this flutter in me for the first time in a long time where I feel like we might finally find the help we need.

I wish you could see what I've seen in this son of mine over these last few years. I wish you could see the way he refuses to give up, even when the work has nearly beaten him. I wish you could see the strength and courage and perseverence and character God is building in him. God loves this boy.

1 comment:

  1. Can you give me more specifics? I am always wanting to find ways to help my children with their struggles!!

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.