There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, September 12, 2011

Another Set of Mostly Unrelated Thoughts

This morning, I had another huge attack of the lonelies. Ugh. This is not my favorite recurring theme, for sure. Maybe I'll invite some people to my pity party next time, but I was pretty busy feeling lonely at this one and didn't really have time for guests.....

Yesterday, a peer of Joseph's said to him, "It's a good thing you don't have a sister, Joseph." He got a really puzzled look on his face and said, "But I do. She's just in heaven." I don't think he was seeing why it was a good thing not to have a sister when the four of us have always known we are missing one of our number. A little girl whose voice we never heard is part of us. Always.

And, since life is an odd combination of grief and light and laughter and pain, I immediately remembered a funny remark Elijah made this past weekend. I was putting brown in my hair. (That's what Elijah calls it when I dye my hair). He came pounding up the stairs a full 45 minutes before bedtime, burst into the bathroom, draped himself over the counter, and said dramatically, "I need to visit my sheets." He was tired and ready for bed and that was his way of announcing it. See? Smiles and loss and loneliness and joy. All together.

For Bible today, we were reviewing our Walk through the Bible cards. If you haven't heard of these and you have kids, or just want to know all the names of the books of the Bible and their basic themes, these are a must-have. Granted, I didn't have the easiest time explaining the key word for Hosea which is "harlot".....but these little flashcards and summaries are absolutely fabulous. Anyway, the flashcard for the book of Esther shows a Persian cat on a Persian rug and a queen with an "S" on her stirring something in a bowl. This is supposed to make you think, "S-stir, Queen of Persia." Elijah has developed a funny little hang-up on this one. When he sees it, he says, "Es-mix, Queen of Persia." He's serious. He doesn't think "stir", he thinks "mix". I tried to tell him to use common sense and say a familiar word instead of one that sounds odd, but I gave that up once I realized how odd so many of the books of the Bible sound. Ecclesiastes? Leviticus? Deuteronomy? Maybe Esmix isn't that odd after all. Either way, that's what we all say now-- Esmix, Queen of Persia.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! That's funny, we're studying Es-mix this year in the bible study I co-lead. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, my friends told me I was lucky not to have any siblings, and I was puzzled as well. Perspective is an interesting thing, isn't it?

    Esmix is obviously the Persian version of Chex Mix. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.