There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, September 23, 2011

On this Fine Friday Afternoon

....I find myself really frustrated that I can't explain to Joseph how metal is molded. It's not as if I've done it myself, but I understand the concept of a mold (mould?) and some melted metal. I've had play-dough out, we've looked at pictures, we need to close the topic. I'm not frustrated with him, I'm frustrated with myself. I think that's a sign that school is over for the day.

(You may ask, why is the molded metal thing important? Well, he just read half a zillion verses about the construction of the Temple in the Old Testament. Lots of casting of metal going on there.)

So, onto other things. You've probably been awake nights wondering how my life with the SMART phone is going. I am adjusting. I still can't fit it in my pocket. I rarely answer it because it's miles away from me in the house somewhere. I still find making calls to be a long process. I'm still completely fumble-fingers on texting. (I was born for T-9 texting and outlived my natural talent.) I pretty much don't respond to e-mail on it except on rare occasions requiring a 2-word reply. The most impressive thing my SMART phone has done for me is to save me from being lost. I guess I needed navigational help years ago (massive understatement) and now the phone is rescuing me from a life of wandering in circles. I think I'm about as adjusted as I'll get. I'm OK. I knew you would want to know. (Please be nice if you get one of my typical texts. They look quite similar. The basic template is "Howjbhiggletimetraveltjjb?")

Joseph has a sleepover tonight, so Brian and I are taking Elijah out for a date night with both of us. Believe it or not, this child is dying to go to IKEA. He is actually the only member of the family dying to go there. He watched with great interest as it was being built. So, as odd as it sounds, we are going to IKEA for our 5-year-old. It will be a first for all of us. Joseph is not broken up at all about missing out on this expedition.

Elijah had his first eye doctor appointment today. It was hilarious. He was very obedient, very responsive. Then he wore out all at once. I could see him start to wiggle all over. He was sighing loudly and saying things like, "Is this almost over? I'm getting exhausted." He did well and does not need glasses. Yay for my eye-related DNA taking it easy on him.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should make jello...that's sorta the same thing as a metal mold...right?

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.