Hair takes time. Hair costs money. Hair is a mess. If I could keep my hair long and not cut it for years on end, I would. That is not a current option in my life. I would literally look like I had two or three stringy clumps of hair hanging off my head. Long doesn't work for me anymore.
Today was haircut day for the three of us in the family that maintain hair. The fourth member simply shaves it off, but that actually does still take time, money, and makes a mess.
Maybe I inhaled too many stray hairs at the shop. I just feel annoyed about how much of my life I spend on hair. I wash it. I color it. I dry it. I straighten it (when I'm in the mood). I buy products for it. I vacuum it off the floor. I clean it out of the drain. I get it cut regularly. I smile nicely at the weekly remarks that refer to my "courage" in keeping it so short.
I lived through the 80's which means I have already spent a disproportionate amount of time on my hair. You may not realize this, but "mall" hair in the 80's didn't just happen. I'm surprised I don't have scars on my forehead from all the times I burned myself with my curling iron while creating mall hair. I suspect hairspray overdose may be responsible for some of my current asthma issues.
Right now, I am just thankful we all have a fabulous person to cut our hair. I used to be on the "chop shop" plan where we walked in, waited forever, and got a crooked or just plain awful haircut about half the time. With everything hair demands of me, I was nearing a hair-breakdown about haircuts until my hairstylist found me and rescued me from my life of strangers cutting my hair. She also rescued me from long stringy hair. If she ever moves away, I'll probably move with her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amen sister! Nearly every morning I think "and why did I cut my hair?" I either straighten it or put it into pigtails. I miss being able to pull it back into a pony tail, or blow dry it the night before and its still look ok the next morning.
ReplyDeleteMy hair does not make a mess. I just wash it down the drain. from the 4th member.
ReplyDelete