There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, January 5, 2012

I Remember When....

...I did not accidentally throw away perfectly good leftovers last night after dinner instead of refrigerating them. Joseph had his heart set on leftovers for breakfast and was quite disappointed when I finally realized they had been outside in the trash can all night.

...I did not begin re-loading groceries from my trunk back into the cart in the Walmart parking lot. Yup, true story. Today.

...I remembered deodorant every day. (Sad, huh?)

...I knew where every bathroom in the town was because of my kids, not because of me. (Walmart's bathroom is actually very decent and even has nice homey touches, although I'm unsure what to do with the basket of washcloths next to the silk flowers. Would they mind if I washed my face? Where do I leave the used washcloth when I'm finished?)

...I remembered, the majority of the time, why I entered a particular room of the house. Really, I don't ever remember anymore. My primary source of calorie-burning is roaming from room to room wondering what I was about to do.

...I did not look under the kitchen sink to find half and half for my coffee. Only moments ago, I was startled to find myself holding my all-purpose spray in one hand and my coffee in the other. The spray is homemade, but I'm pretty sure it does not go with coffee.

...I only forgot to pack one minor thing for an overnight trip, rather than 50% of all my stuff, including heart medicine. Seriously. It was beyond ridiculous. I wasn't even mad. I just laughed. And laughed. And laughed. (After I finished crying about the heart medicine. That seemed like a big deal.)

...I did not dig frantically through my purse looking for the cell phone that was currently in use...by me. Yes. True. Today.

Ahhh, the good old days. And now, here's to 40 and the exciting new adventures that will come as brain cell function diminishes. Next time I see you, it might be a good idea to remind me of your name and how I know you. I do have to say that it is exceedingly unfair for yet another cousin to be marrying and adding people to the family just as I am losing my mind. (You know who you are, dear cousin. I'm so happy for you. I just have no idea how I'm going to add another family member to my brain. Please apologize to him for me.)

I have to go now. I think I have somewhere to be, but I currently don't remember what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.