Nice title, huh? It's true. It's my starting point for what's been on my mind for a long time. We are all trying so earnestly, or giving up so ferociously, on trying to preserve our bodies and minds that sometimes we forget we're all gonna die. I currently live among middle-class to upper middle-class majority white people, many with higher education, most with incomes above the national median (well above) in a fairly small town. Preserving ourselves is a pretty popular topic right now. We have the luxury of talking about this stuff because we have running water, efficient sewage, paved bicycle/jogging trails, cars, prolific food (I didn't say healthy), access to health care, and very few vicious bands of roving soldiers attempting to persecute by religion or race or kidnap my boys to serve as slave soldiers. We do have rattlesnakes and bears and mountain lions and insufficient humidity and lack of oxygen (really, it's high elevation) and large screaming black birds that poop all over my car every day, and woodpeckers that visit frequently, and scary women with abnormally flat, smooth stomachs at the local pools, and a large population of cars with that ridiculous Coexist bumper sticker (as if Jesus came to coexist....take the cross out of that line-up, people), but really, all things considered, we have it pretty easy.
So....
Discussions swirl about food and budgeting and exercise and vaccinations and public education and vitamins and toxins. I know I was pretty sarcastic in that first paragraph, but there are some really valid concerns out there about these topics. It's not necessarily a bad thing to give them some thought. I find it all pretty interesting and I've learned a lot. I've questioned a lot. I've changed a lot. I've discovered many points where I am willing to compromise or have to compromise due to time or financial limitations. I've discovered other points where I won't compromise. All of this has become a big part of my life over the years and I want to share some of the journey.
I'm not an expert. I don't care if you agree or disagree or don't care, unless we're talking about Jesus as the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I don't budge on that one. I've been saved from too much and saved for so much with such lavish mercy and grace that there's no giving a nod to another point of view on Him. He's it. Everything comes from Him, exists by His power, and is intended for His glory. All glory to Him forever. (Romans 11:36)
Back to the topic, which is by no means as heart-thumpingly amazing as talking about Jesus....
No matter what, we're all gonna die. We can't make this jar of clay last forever, nor, contrary to the American belief, can we assure great earthly wealth for ourselves. We can, however, be wise, pay attention, and learn along the way. Many people have helped me along the way. If any of this helps you or gives you ideas, great. If not, great.
One quick shout-out to one of my friends....you know who you are...I do plan to post about homemade laundry detergent. Don't let your husband see the title. It's OK if you skip it. :)
And now, time to see what the boys are doing about their math. I can always hope for the best, but their desks appear to be unmanned at the moment....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.