Flavorful food has always been attractive to me. Seriously, are there people out there who like it bland? Maybe, but not me. I have been able to eat solid food for about a week now. It has been all about flavor, including a steady intake of fresh, homemade green chile. I have almost polished off the second batch. I cannot stop eating. So for all the people out there who saw my gaunt frame and got all jealous of the weight I lost, I'm coming back and maybe adding some pounds....For instance, just today, I've had a ginger muffin, yogurt, green chile and cheese over rice, spinach/raspberry salad with homemade dressing, a handful of dried cranberries, and a poppyseed chicken lettuce wrap. It's not even 4pm. See what I mean about my rapid weight gain program? Oh, and for everyone who pities me for my limited diet, I'm thinking that list doesn't really look that limited to me. I'm making myself hungry all over again just typing it. If you want to pity me, think instead about how I have to cook in order to eat. Restaurants don't work super well for me, nor does most processed food. If I'm too tired to cook, I don't eat very well.
In the past few days, I have made green chili, jalepeno pinto beans, homemade mac and cheese, red chili, ginger muffins, Irish soda bread, apple pie, apple crisp, homemade chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce, parmesan risotto, garlic pork chops, oven-roasted potatoes, Spanish rice, French dip, spaghetti, many fresh salads, and a whole lot more. There's something about two weeks of starvation that messes with a person. In fact, a couple of days ago, I already had luscious piles of leftovers in the fridge for lunch and I accidentally made a pan of mac and cheese. Who accidentally cooks, especially from scratch? I guess people who all too recently felt the pinch of starvation. I am hoping I even out a bit and stop obsessing over food.
On a fairly unrelated side note, I was hearing people talk recently about how their families won't eat leftovers. My family lives on leftovers. The more containers to choose from, the happier they are. It's not unusual to see Joseph load up a plate with creamed spinach and leftover chicken....for breakfast.
I will tell you, the starvation thing was so sobering. I had no strength, I couldn't think, my stomach hurt all the time, I was queasy without a break, I couldn't stay hydrated--I lived like that for about two weeks. Now I can't stop thinking about people living without enough food all over the world, and even my own town.
You know what? On second thought, don't pity me because I have to cook in order to eat. Never mind. Having food to cook is a privilege. A huge one.
Oh, and if you live around here? Consider checking into the program my church has where we collect and distribute food to children right in our town who often go the weekend with little to eat. Yes, right here in the heart of a town in the 5th or 6th richest county in the USA--yes, the entire USA--children don't have enough to eat. The neighborhood I live in has a 50% poverty rate. And don't buy junk. Buy the good stuff, like you would for your own kids. If you need or want details, send me a message. I can give you ideas, since it all has to be pre-packaged in individual servings.
It's just not OK to go without food.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My friend, you really should have put a warning at the beginning of this post for friends who are trying to lose weight and not eating the foods you are describing in here. ;) I'm so happy you are feeling better and back to eating!
ReplyDelete