There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, September 10, 2012

Seeking Some Answers

Brian is home today.

This is very, very good news. We haven't had a traditional weekend in years now because of the format of our church services. Honestly, I've grieved the loss of Saturday. I still do. But today, I get to just be glad that we are all home. I don't have to think about Saturday. Today is Monday and that is good. We are all tired. The boys are over-the-top goofy. I am finally nearing human status as far as being able to eat normal food and not be desperately ill.

We are currently in the middle of seeking some answers for Joseph. He definitely has issues with gluten, and there is a real possibility that he has celiac disease. He has had two rounds of blood work and a consultation with a specialist. When the second round of blood results come back, we will then move on to the next step since celiac is not diagnosable by blood. Celiac is a tricky diagnosis at best, but it is nothing to be trifled with. When the body decides gluten is toxic, things can get pretty bad. In fact, this is something we need to do now because celiac frequently stunts growth and weakens growing bones. It has other tricks to pull on adults, but tweens and teens suffer particularly in the growth department along with digestion, migraines, and even learning difficulties and/or anxiety. As a person with an unofficial diagnosis of celiac who is living with the fallout that food-turned-toxin can wreak in a human body, I do tremble just a little at what this could mean for my son. Celiac is not curable. Sometimes it backs off for awhile, but it's always there. As much as my heart aches for how his world might change in the next few months with being able to eat with friends, go to camp, go out to eat--in the case of celiac, ignorance is not bliss. I have met many, many people whose bodies were tearing themselves apart prior to a celiac diagnosis. I have met two that nearly died. That is sobering. I am praying for a clear diagnosis either way, not always an easy thing with celiac.

If nothing else in all this, I still marvel at how the very food meant to nourish us has been so altered and poisoned that the human body is now seeing it as toxic. Is it just me, or do you hear all creation groaning under the weight of a sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.