Monday, April 12, 2010
Chairs
Sunday, as I was moving tables and chairs and setting up for my Sunday School class, I started to wonder how many times I have moved and set up chairs at this church building. More than anywhere we have ever been, chairs are a major theme of what Brian and I do at this particular building. The thing is, chairs are distinctly unglamorous. There's no finishing with the chairs. Just when they are set up or cleaned up, we arrive the next time to find them un-set or left out. Honestly? I was having a hard time with that yesterday morning. People were getting baptized in the next room, and there I was--Cinderella. (Does anyone hear it yet? The lack of humility in my thoughts and attitude? The self-pity?) At moments like that, when pride comes rushing in and humility vanishes in a cloud, I am so glad for the Scripture that I have hidden in my heart. Right then, in the middle of the chairs, here it came: "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve." (Mt. 20:28) Who was I to set myself up right there in that little classroom as one who needed to be served, rather than to serve? My Savior didn't. There's nothing like the Word of God to renew your mind. Thanks, Lord. (By the way, my class of precious kids was amazing that day. I was rewarded a 100x for the small effort I put into setting up chairs.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ah, thanks for sharing. I struggle with that too.
ReplyDelete