There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

From the Backseat

Today's been good but tough all at the same time. Brian has been off for almost a week (with a few interruptions from work, but not too many) and he is headed back to regular days tomorrow. We were driving back from spending the afternoon wading in a creek with the boys and I felt the cloud of life demands starting to descend. Brian typically has Mondays off, but the other 6 days belong to his job. There is flexibility to some point, but some veeeerrrrry long days with veeeerrrrry early mornings. VBS is next week which means Brian won't even have his day off. We've had almost a week in a row of dinner as a family and a whole weekend together. All this was swirling through my head as we rode along in the car today. Of course, the more contemplative I got, the louder the boys got. The noise from the backseat was deafening. I kept turning around to see what was causing certain screams or thumps or laughs. Finally, Joseph said in a low voice, "Elijah, every time Mom turns around, she does NOT have a smile on her face." THAT made me smile....

:) Thanks for bringing me out of myself for a laugh, boys.

1 comment:

  1. haha! That's cute. I heard on the radio today that Embassy Suites offers free breakfast and free happy hour to their overnight guests...now I know why you always want to stay there. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.