There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Fly Lady

Awhile back, I found out about the Fly Lady. I guess a lot of people knew about her, but I didn't. I went to her website and couldn't stop reading. Seriously. For a full week, I shined my sink every night. Then....not so much. Also, I just wasn't able to take her admonition to get up and put on lace-up shoes for the day. I don't like wearing shoes in the house. I just plain don't. I love my slippers. I actually take my slippers to other people's houses and wear them there. So, the shoe thing is out and always will be. The shiny sink is nice, but every night was a bit much for me. For me, I just try not to go to bed with piles of dirty dishes in the kitchen.

I do love the way she thinks because she sort of confirmed what I've always felt. It feels good to put away, throw away, and give away. I love giving stuff away. I'm not a garage saler. I donate. When I'm done with it, I'm done. Into the car, off to Goodwill. I also love throwing away. She recommends an exercise where you go around your house with a plastic bag and find 27 things to throw away. It's actually really fun. Between the fridge, desk, pantry, and bathroom cabinet, I can usually do it in about 5 minutes and then I feel really good! She also recommends the 27 item thing with giving away, but I can't do that as often. I still do and it's pretty fun too. It does take a little longer.

She has an entire organizational system that looks good, but isn't for me--at least right now. It's not that a little organization wouldn't be nice, it's just that I had a very organized system up until a few years ago. The problem was that I was a slave to it. I had to lay it aside. I still have a schedule, I still pick up my things and clean the house, but the life organizer was turning me into the wrong kind of person. That's just me. I'm sure it's amazing for others. It may work for me again when I can ditch my Pharisee tendencies. For now, not so much.

I have no idea why today I had to talk about the Fly Lady. I guess when I threw away 5 things today, it reminded me I hadn't done a 27-item sweep in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.