There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pictures that Make me Smile






My blog and I get along well enough, but I still haven't worked out how to caption each picture individually. Hence, the block of writing at the end of the pictures. I had a few pictures that have made me smile lately. Actually, I had a lot. Here are some.

My cousin David stopped over with us for a couple of nights just prior to heading over to South Korea for a year-long missionary assignment. I love this guy. I am happy to report that now my boys love him too. He patiently played Bionicles with Elijah, and let me tell you....playing Bionicles with Elijah takes some patience.

He took Joseph hiking up to the rock. (THE rock. Castle Rock.) It was a bitterly cold day and there was a bit of ice, so they didn't actually climb the rock, but they braved the hike and took some beautiful pictures. From my point of view, how much better does it get than sending my boy off on a cold, icy hike with a guy who moonlights on a search-and-rescue team and is an EMT.

I don't get to see David often enough and he is very much on my heart and in my prayers in his new place of ministry. I am thankful that the night before he left, he and I got to stay up late just talking and laughing. He reminds me in so many ways of my dad--except for the riding of motorcycles....

Brian spent most of a cold day making trips to the store for extra lights and climbing around on ladders and the roof to put up lights for us. It is so much work for him and I suspect he does it just to bless the boys and me because we looovveee the lights. He even did a colored light tree just for Elijah this year. Christmas lights are one of my favorite things in the whole world and I am so blessed that Brian will put this much time into making sure I can go running outside every night and stand staring at the lights.

Joseph and Elijah wore Santa hats most of the day when we put up the tree and I thought they looked adorable. It made me smile to see them. I never forget at Christmas time the many years we spent unable to have children and the Christmasas of grief we spent after losing Whitney. I do not take these children for granted nor think I did anything special to deserve them. Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.