There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Morning in the Kitchen

Today was another one of those long stretches in the kitchen. I needed to get some things baked and in the freezer. It didn't used to be quite such a big deal, but it is twice the work to make pancakes or breads or anything baked now that I have such dietary restrictions. If I don't make my own food, I pretty much don't get to eat.....so, it was kitchen day. I'm always surprised how much work it is for so little to show.

I have learned a very important principle in spending a long stretch in the kitchen. Keep it clean. Don't let the dishes pile up. Start with an empty dishwasher and an empty sink. Don't start with the trash can already overflowing. Clean as you go. Making a giant mess might work for some people, but I am working with a limited amount of space. I have so little counter space in my kitchen that there is literally nowhere to allow much of a mess.

I think it's been good discipline for me to work in limited space. I don't keep unnecessary things in my kitchen. It all gets used. I can't let my messes get very large. It's definitely not all bad to have a small kitchen.

I just have to say before I end this "fascinating" post....I LOVE my new/old Kitchen Aid mixer. It was a gift. Someone I know got a new one and gave me their old one. I love it. It cuts down the mess and time involved in baking. It lives on my counter, taking up some of my very limited space, but it is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.