There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, January 31, 2011

So NOT Cutting Edge

Brutal weekend in some huge ways. Much of it falls into the unbloggable category. Only Jesus lived a life that was worthy of blogging everything. Not even close for me. It was only fitting that my weekend ended on a Benadryl moment and I am currently living the hangover. I really just wanted to blog something normal, not just spewing hurt or ungodly thoughts. I decided the following blog entry would be some therapy for me today. Here goes:

I am mostly left behind in the world of technology. We didn't enter the laptop world at home until about 2 years ago when our desktop's wheezing and gasping and blue screens had gotten unbearable. (It actually makes loud "breathing" noises.) There are only so many utilities you can run on a computer. It became clear that running utilities and virus scans 23 out of 24 hours a day wasn't helping. Was it time to pull the plug?

Happily, for now, our beloved desktop is still in our house and plugged in. It is unable to print and has no internet connectivity, but we wanted its final years to be spent with people who love it. I have found an odd use for it. I can type in one of Joseph's grammar lessons and Joseph does his lesson on-screen. (Background: In my ongoing attempts to save a penny or two, I did not buy the student workbook for grammar. I have the teacher's manual only. Mistake. The student manual is very detailed and handwriting every lesson for Joseph became out of the question.) It's a bonus for me. He learns more computer skills and I don't have to handwrite his entire grammar workbook. Elijah still uses the desktop for his computer games. So, the desktop lives. But the laptop.....

.....Oh how happy I am to have a laptop. I can use it in the kitchen when I'm looking up recipes. I can use it in the school area. I can use it at my own desk. I can use it in the living room. I can use it outside on the deck. Umm, this is getting a slight "Green Eggs and Ham" flavor, so I think I'll end the list. Just have to say that these things are so cool!

Let's talk about where I'm left behind now. I have noticed a huge number of e-mails and FB posts that all say something about a Blackberry or iPhone or Android or iPad. I don't have any of those. I've never even used one. The tiny little buttons kind of frighten me from afar. Actually, I don't even know what an Android thingy is, but I'm pretty sure I haven't used one. My cell phone is so old that the Verizon store didn't even have a connector for it to port over numbers from my still older phone. It's been chewed on by a dog. However--it still makes calls--I can text people--it works. I told Brian about my lack of technology this morning and he smiled and proceeded to tell me about a lady at church who told him last week she has an iPad. Oh yeah, did I mention she's in her 80's? I laughed. Love it!

I might have forgotten to mention that we don't have a flat-screen TV either. Oh, we actually don't even have TV reception. Our TV is working just fine for movies as long as you remember to hit it hard on the side a couple of times periodically whenever the picture goes all squiggly.

Last thought for now on my "left behindness"--my son is upstairs playing solitaire....with actual cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.