Today, I have to be the grown-up. It's not that I usually avoid being the grown-up, it's just that I don't usually have to have a pep talk with myself to convince myself to keep being the grown-up. I am sick. Just a cold and fever and aches, but enough that I would rather crawl into bed. Elijah is just getting over being sick. He doesn't really need to be doctored (seeing as how he is currently leaping over a heap of couch cushions), but he is not exactly self-sufficient. I still need to feed him and take care of him. Joseph really got hit hard by the same virus today and is a limp noodle. Brian is sick. It's a quadruple whammy. That leaves....ummmm....no one to cook, take care of things, and put the kids to bed. So, I am talking myself into being the grown-up. Errands were run. Dinner was cooked. (Homemade chicken noodle soup, of course...) Kids will be put to bed. (Baths and showers will be skipped for sure.) I will be the grown-up. And while I'm here being the grown-up, Brian is out being the grown-up and coaching his basketball team and keeping his distance so he doesn't infect them.
All those times I thought being a grown-up sounded amazing, I never once imagined this scenario. The endurance scenario. I was all about the freedom scenario. The endurance thing never really entered my mind. It's OK, though. At times like this, I also realize that I get to lay down my life for the ones I love in a really obvious way and I kind of feel like I was made for things like this.
I will just say that I am thinking tomorrow will not exactly be a full day of homeschool....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
feel better soon!
ReplyDelete