There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Time for a Change...or Not

I tried to change my blog design yesterday. It didn't work. I got some of it changed, then couldn't get the rest of the colors to cooperate. Let's just say I blog because I write, not because I'm amazing at design or using a computer. Not that I'm an amazing writer.....Anyway, it was going to be so cute. I just wanted you to know.

I really did smile about my personality when I decided I could just stay with the same old design. I don't like change. I know it's super trendy to be all about change and it shows flexibility and all sort of positive things about a person, but I don't like change. My furniture stays where I put it. It took me 6 years to slightly re-arrange my kitchen cabinets to be more efficient because it meant change. For me, a big change means I just re-arranged the books on the bookshelf.

I picked out new glasses last night. That's a big deal. Did I mention I don't like change? It's just that the ones I have that are ancient, the wrong prescription, and don't actually stay on my face are really beyond their usefulness. A couple of friends went with me. I tried on all sort of glasses that made them ooh and aah. All I could think is, "Oh no! This is too much change! Where are the ones that look like my plain, old glasses?" I did choose some that are different. Not different enough that most people will notice, but different enough that I will have a few weeks of getting used to the change once I get them.

Funny thing. I am married to a guy who loves change. Loves it. A new piece of electronic equipment or a new appliance makes me want to become Amish. On the other hand, he is energized and excited by the change and the challenge.

The one change I crave always is inside me. I like the outside world to stay put, but inside is a different story. I so much want to grow deeper down into the love of Christ and be transformed and renewed day by day. It's just that the one change I so desperately want seems to come so slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.