There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, July 29, 2011

Another SMART Tale

Today brought another SMART phone incident. I am not sure if I should be allowed to carry one of these things. I decided to let the boys use the nagivation feature and tell me where to turn on the way to a friend's house. I haven't been there in awhile. I just needed a couple of hints on right vs. left. It was going great right up until they started messing around and wouldn't tell me where to turn. Then they both started yelling, "Mom, Mom. The phone is ringing. It's Dad! It's Dad."

I said, "OK, just let it ring. We'll call him back. Tell me where to turn."

Reply from the back, "Um, we can't see the map. The phone covered it up."

"Great. Give me the phone please." I answered the phone only to have Brian and the computer navigation lady begin speaking simultaneously. Nice. I tried to tell Brian I had to call him back. He kept talking. I could not understand anything. I hung up and went and parked in the nearest parking lot. After I turned off the nagivation feature, I called him back.

No answer. Didn't we just do this yesterday?

I texted. No answer.

I called. No answer.

I looked up directions to my friend's house and drove there. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know if there was something urgent. (Please know, Brian and I don't talk on the phone all that often. He NEVER just calls to chat.)

It's all OK now, but he is probably slightly shaken up from me yelping into the phone, "The computer won't stop!! I can't hear you!! I can't make it stop!! I have to call you back!! It won't stop!!"

My cardiologist did recommend eliminating as much stress as possible. I think I'm getting rid of the phone. At this point, maybe I'll get rid of the home phone too. I don't really like talking on the phone that much anyway....I am also concerned that Brian may become a cardiology patient if he has too many more encounters with me and my SMART phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.