There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Technological Changes

I laughed out loud when I read some thoughts from a friend of mine who blogged about how much she hates changes to computers and phones and such. I feel the EXACT same way. I completely flip out every time we have to get a new computer or phone or DVD player. I can go years without learning how to set the time in a new car. I still don't know how to set the time on Joseph's watch.

In the past week, I've had to learn how to program a new coffee maker. That has taken a toll on me. It has taken me a year to get used to a new computer. The coffee maker came a bit soon in that whole transition time.

Today has been too much for me. My old cell phone and I do mean OLD is only holding a charge for about half a day. That doesn't really work for me anymore. Funny thing is I actually had the new phone I got for $15 when our plan renewed. It's just that I don't like it. There's nothing special about it. The buttons are too flat. I just shoved it in a drawer when it came, but now I need it. Brian got me set up on it, but my first text went to someone's home number in another state. Seriously, I am dangerously near incompetent. Brian and Joseph almost passed out laughing at me.

Now here's something else also. We can save money by switching internet carriers and canceling our home phone. I am over-the-top panicked. It looks like we're canceling our home phone on Monday. I am 38. I have always had a home phone. For some reason, this is feeling like we're about to remove the toilets from our house or get rid of our refrigerator. I have no idea what is wrong with me. We know so many people that don't have home phones. I just like having a home phone. I am fully aware that we get about 10 sales calls or surveys a day on it and about 5 personal calls a week on it, but I have all these fears about not having a home phone. What if I start exceeding my minutes on the cell? What if I forget to charge my cell and don't have a phone at all? What do I do about everyone who has my home phone as my contact number? (schools, doctors, friends, church people, EVERYBODY)

Honestly? I really don't know why I'm this freaked out. Really. It's just a phone and we'll save money. So....if you try to call me on my home phone after Monday and get the infamous message..."the number you have reached..."...please know I still exist and am probably shivering in a corner in withdrawals from my home phone.

So, that's all. I'm maxed on technology and changes.

1 comment:

  1. hehehe. I totally sent a text to someone's home line once. It was pretty funny.

    Just remember the $$ signs when you start missing that land line and you'll feel better. They are ridiculously expensive.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.